The BrakeBlog is running on the Energynet network now. My day off for MLK Jr. Day was a day for considering bandwidth issues related to my websites and moving them to Energynet. My first thought was to mark the current response times as measured through the Google Webmaster tools. Since one of the recurring problems I experienced with Godaddy was slow load times. It would be good information for me to know and it would make a good blog post later.
BrakeBlog Oct 2011 – Jan 2012 (Godaddy)
Page loadtime High 1086ms – Average 639ms – Low 360ms
Christian Heights UMC (ditto)
High 1730ms – Average 1080ms – Low 379ms
The church website loads 440ms slower on average when it is running normally. It will be interesting to see how these numbers change since the BrakeBlog has transitioned to its new home.
Another thing which is much more surprising to me personally is the radical difference in traffic patterns between my personal blog and the church website. The BrakeBlog received 143 (non-unique) visits in December while transferring 709 megabytes of data during the same period. These numbers are reversed on the church though. CHUMC received only 64 (non-unique) visits while transferring 1,810 megabytes in December. 28 megabytes per CHUMC user versus only 5 megabytes per BrakeBlog user. I have to think that the sermons I post online are far more popular than I realized.
Doing this analysis I realize how large both websites are. The church website seems to hit a ceiling at 100 users. I have been disappointed that I haven’t been able to attract more than that. A CHUMC user, however, is much more involved and that counts as much or more than the simple visitor total. After I move both websites away from Godaddy those TX/RX lights on the server won’t be blinking quite as fast as they were.
To all my visitors on the BrakeBlog and Christian Heights, THANK YOU! Stay tuned for the follow-up post when we find out what were the results of this experiment.